Sign in to follow this  
Noele

Current update status

Noele    398

Hello, Ataraxia. Lately, I'm sure all of you are wondering what the deal is. We have always been very regular with updates, and it's unheard of for us to go this amount of time without ingame update. As you also know, we've been waiting to push a very intricate client change. To be completely transparent with everyone, so you know that we're not just "quitting", I will explain where we are, what we're doing, and why it's taken so long. I owe it to the community to be completely transparent.

First of all, me as well as all of the admins and developers are here on a daily basis. We talk and work on the server everyday. I'm constantly managing different server assets and setting up a redundant host setup for us. This setup is already done and I'll outline exactly what's been done, as far as our infrastructure:

- If the main server goes down, the client will fallback to the secondary server.

- If the test server goes down, the client will fallback to secondary test server.

- If the site goes down, there are 3 redundant backup servers hosted in different regions.

As far as content, we've got a lot on backlog that we've been waiting to push. The new client has a lot of protocol (packet changes) so things like trading npcs, clicking players and items, and other things have changed a lot. We've had to make sure all of our previous content was not only compatible with this, but that it too didn't have any new bugs. Because of these changes, the server is deeply integrated with the new client. This means that we can't really release any of this content, because the current source is built to work with these new packet changes. So, to combat this, we've hastily worked out any and all bugs we found, and we found a lot. To put this in perspective, I'll show you what we have backlogged and what we're waiting on to finish.

- Full dungeoneering, thoroughly tested for smuggles, crashes, and broken functionality.
    * The new client made full dungeoneering possible by eliminating the current entity movement issue that happens when moving regions.

- Rise of the six, and all of its functionality/gear
    * The new client made NPC morphisms reliable, as well as eliminating the entity movement bug.

- New barrows system, with all 8 brothers/sisters, who have their respective effects and gear.
    * The new client gave these gears textures, as well as fixed crashes because of Linza's gear.

- Item on death system, now you can pay a fee at death, or skip the fee to return and try to grab your items.
    * This was impossible due to the interface system prior.
- Slayer system containing multiple masters, and more tasks

- All items can be sold on the .G.E now, as well as MANY other bug fixes.

- There is much more that is not listed here because of the length of our backlog and will be available at the time of patchnotes.

Recently, our developer Walied stepped down and said he could not help us fix the existing issues in the client. I've contacted other client developers as well as him to clean up the remaining issues. Unfortunately, we have been stuck waiting on him prior, but I hope to get these issues ironed out as quickly as possible - any issues that we can wait to patch, we will.

- http://prntscr.com/fjv1zr - RS2 items missing attack styles and specs
    * Fixed already in a previous cache
- RS3 items are still missing attack styles and special bars. This has to be fixed by a very talented client developer.
- Prayer overheads must be fixed, as NPCs currently show the wrong overheads

* Fixed in the new cache

As always, we are working very hard to bring this update to a close, so we can release and move on with all of the tidbits of content we have planned. Many have asked lately if we've given up or if the client will ever be released.

Yes, it will, I plan to release it within the next week no matter what issues exist, as soon as the prayer overheads are fixed, as they are vital for game play.

I have contacted our own client developers as well to get this issue addressed as soon as possible. We have not forgotten about you and we are working regularly to get this release out to you. We've recently been testing the client a ton and ironing out all issues with content as well.

If you have any specific questions about development, feel free to ask them here, this is not a thread for suggestions.

Gif quality may be poor because my screen resolution is 3840 x 2160

ec5463ed85ef7fc78de9faa33eae6470.gif

• Upvote 6

Primus    26

Good to know that the project isn't abandoned and that it's still coming along.

Now, my primary question is how much will it cost to reclaim items? Will it cost something absurd like 100 million, or will it be more reasonable? (10m, 5m etc)

ps. client is still a myth lel

Edited by Primus
  • Upvote 2

Mudflipz    20

Amazing job to everyone involved in this process, it may have taken longer than we all thought, but once this client goes live the server is going to feel so, so good. Honestly can't wait.

Thank you very much for letting us all know!

Guest Jaedmo   
Guest Jaedmo
55 minutes ago, Primus said:

Good to know that the project isn't abandoned and that it's still coming along.

Now, my primary question is how much will it cost to reclaim items? Will it cost something absurd like 100 million, or will it be more reasonable? (10m, 5m etc)

ps. client is still a myth lel

I died with full Tectonic, seismic set, comp cape, hailfires, ammy of souls. (all undyed).

194,500 coins. It's not expensive, but it's mostly to add a small money sink and add the danger of actually dying for Hardcore ironmen and even main accounts. You're no longer safe :)

Kieron    10

Nice work glad to see a light at the end of this tunnel, as far as walied standing down he's a talented dev so I've heard but he never finishes anything, it's probably a good thing he stood down :) hope all get fixed and completed ?

• Upvote 1

Tranquility    60

Thank you for the update, Noel! A lot of people has been wondering what's going down with the client, so it's surely appreciated to update us on the case :)

Sincerely

Tranquility

Tora    62

#release the kracken

#release the beta to the public ( test server )

Edited by Tora
  • Upvote 1

crypsis    7

im very happy to see a light at the end of the tunnel. You guys are doing a greatjob. I appreciate the work and time you guys put in. Keep up the good work!

Primus    26
17 hours ago, Jaedmo said:

I died with full Tectonic, seismic set, comp cape, hailfires, ammy of souls. (all undyed).

194,500 coins. It's not expensive, but it's mostly to add a small money sink and add the danger of actually dying for Hardcore ironmen and even main accounts. You're no longer safe :)

That's perfect. Can't wait to not lag.

Kieron    10
On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, Tora said:

#release the kracken

#release the beta to the public ( test server )

^ not a bad idea, I'd like the chance to help test it in beta stages.

Austin    2

Hope everything goes smooth for everyone working on the update and you guys get it out.Great update good job to everyone who worked on it!

Noele    398

Current status of the update: Ready to release

We are just waiting on one of our client developers to obfuscate the client, so we can release it. All content and functionality has been tested and is working as of now, without game-breaking issues. A developer offered to fix the combat tab bug as well (the bug will be fixed after client release, so that we do not impede our current schedule)

Although release looks good for today, we cannot release without a protected client. This is to make sure our 2 months of work was not in vain, and that our content / client stays unique. I still expect to release this weekend.

• Upvote 9

Noele    398

Current status of the update: Ready to release

We have an obfuscated client for the server, and will likely be pushing an update tomorrow, so that more developers are on at the time to fix any unforeseen issues. Thank you guys so much for your continued patience and I'm happy to see the development of this [client] come to a conclusion.

• Upvote 8