Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Combat update.

Kris    122

Give your opinions on what needs changing in the current combat update. Before you do so, I'd like you all to consider some points though that I've gathered from both systems.

Old system's pros and cons:

Maxed out ranged gear dealt 3-4x more damage than magic/melee.

You could AFK through most of the game bosses.

Balancing new bosses was near impossible due to the bonuses we had to add to bonuses; For example, vorago's stats prior to this change were:

600 melee defence.

150 magic defence.

3000 ranged defence.

Currently we can set them all equally and there's no problem. 

New system's pros and cons:

All styles are equal. I've ran a lot of simulations in different gears and against different npcs. They all came in very close.

Accuracy in combat is now much higher against bosses, so hit consistency is higher, albeit damage is less.

All NPCs now have bonuses - prior to this only approximately 300 npcs had bonuses. Now I've added bonuses to several thousand different npcs.

New system allows room for variations of different styles - you now have to (unless you got some good gear) take advantage of the weaknesses to get the most kills; prior all you needed was a zaryte bow and they all dropped.

The new system also allows us, the developers to quickly release new monsters. We previously had to spend a lot of time figuring out the "balance" between all styles. All we have to do now is write the attacks and the bonuses and everything else is already there.

Wilderness is now much more stable - players can come rushing you 1 hitting without even using special attack. Weapon speeds are also now proper meaning there's a large variety to select from, rather than the top three or-so.

I could keep going on and on why the new system is far better but I have a feeling most of you will not even read it and just give your opinions, however uneducated they may be in this area.

I expect to receive some actual constructive criticism on this thread, not ranting. We would much rather prefer if you could give us details on what we could do to improve the current combat, rather than just revert to old one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Flex    4

lowkey - feeling exactly the same as to when EOC came out in RS =S

I don't want to constantly be getting into arguments with staff about this update, when all I'm trying to do is give my opinion and hope that things can go in a good direction that suits current players and new players and staff opinions alike.
I will comment on things I have actual experience with.

Pre-Update, It was an enjoyable combat system imo.. I was able to do most slayer tasks in high level gear, just like I would be able to on RS, Now I'm having to constantly re-gear and switch things up because a lot of things are splashing, and when I look up what my target's weakness is and gear up accordingly, I'm still having a hard time.. especially reaper tasks, for the majority of reaper tasks I have gotten since the update, aside from the very high level bosses which I haven't tried out, I'm not able to do the task efficiently at all.

Biggest Issues so far:

• GWD Boss rooms are now very difficult, and already had a hard mode which I thought was enough of a 'difficulty' measure.
  • ROTS now has familiars removed, It seemed already difficult enough and fair enough the way it was.
  • Bonuses were removed from warpriest gear which now makes the gear completely useless.
  • Some slayer tasks are now just too confusing(no method seems to work) dragons specifically have become much harder.

Suggestions/Opinons

• Amend the difficult slayer tasks.
  • IMO - ROTS shouldn't have to be made more difficult, drop rates seem to be to high....
  • Amend broken gear/weapons(Warpriest, Scythe, certain other bonuses have been argued to be out of whack)
  • Instead of 'revert to old combat system' - make God Wars Boss rooms, slightly easier than they are right now.
  • Dungeoneering - I personally have a tough time finding range/mage gear and equipment so all Npc's should be melee-able.

Listen to the player base!
We aren't trying to whinge or rant, we are trying to be heard!

Edited by Flex
  • Upvote 1

Kimchilove    5

I'm going to be honest. I read your post Kris and from the details you provide, the new combat system seems to be far superior. Having played with the new system and the old system, I really don't  mind the new one. I have max gear and can still kill bosses with relative ease although the bonuses have been decreased a little bit. I am ready to trade my gear bonuses for a better game/PvM experience. You've done some great work with this latest update and I am looking forward to the addition of new bosses in the future. Personally, I like that now melee, range AND mage are all viable options for PvM rather than just range. It was certainly unbalanced before and more balanced now.

I think  one of the problems that has arisen from this update is item pricing. Items that were overpowered previously (ex. drygore mace) has gotten a significant balance while the drygore longsword has gotten a  significant "buff." Considering that a mace  was around 5b to 6b and a longsword was around 700m, the idea that they are now relatively similar in power may be irritating to some people. Nevertheless, I believe the economy will recover from this, it will just take time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kris    122
3 hours ago, Flex said:

I don't want to constantly be getting into arguments with staff about this update, when all I'm trying to do is give my opinion and hope that things can go in a good direction that suits current players and new players and staff opinions alike.

Pre-Update, It was an enjoyable combat system imo.. I was able to do most slayer tasks in high level gear, just like I would be able to on RS, Now I'm having to constantly re-gear and switch things up because a lot of things are splashing, and when I look up what my target's weakness is and gear up accordingly, I'm still having a hard time.. especially reaper tasks, for the majority of reaper tasks I have gotten since the update, aside from the very high level bosses which I haven't tried out, I'm not able to do the task efficiently at all.

Biggest Issues so far:

• GWD Boss rooms are now very difficult, and already had a hard mode which I thought was enough of a 'difficulty' measure.
  • ROTS now has familiars removed, It seemed already difficult enough and fair enough the way it was.
  • Bonuses were removed from warpriest gear which now makes the gear completely useless.
  • Some slayer tasks are now just too confusing(no method seems to work) dragons specifically have become much harder.

Suggestions/Opinons

• IMO - ROTS shouldn't have to be made more difficult, drop rates seem to be to high....
  • Amend broken gear/weapons(Warpriest, Scythe, certain other bonuses have been argued to be out of whack)
  • Instead of 'revert to old combat system' - make God Wars Boss rooms, slightly easier than they are right now.
  • Dungeoneering - I personally have a tough time finding range/mage gear and equipment so all Npc's should be melee-able.

Already spoke to you about all these fields here and I think we settled it nicely in a way that fits us both. Gwd1 minions will be nerfed and RoTS we settled on being perfect the way it is. Warpiest I don't know about and slayer.. I've yet to look into it.

• Like 1

TheHjoyn    2
5 hours ago, Flex said:

Biggest Issues so far:

Suggestions/Opinons

Having worked closely with Kris on a lot of the new content, I will try and address some of what he didn't respond to you about. 

Warpriest is bad. Really bad. There is a reason it's just free components on RS. It is, at best, a t70 hybrid armor. It used to be good for magic because it was broken in the same way dragon rider was broken, in that its hybrid stats did not fit what kind of stats hybrid armor has. It is useless because hybrid armor, especially low lvl hybrid armor, is not very useful except in very few situations. 

I don't see what you are talking about with dragons, I just tested them in t80 gear with miasmic instead of the elemental weakness, and still got good acc on bronze through steel. Mith and addy were less acc and slower, as befits high level high defense monsters. Dragons are notorious for being one of the slowest and most annoying slayer tasks, and thus why many choose to block them. This hasn't changed. 

Making all NPCs melee-able would ruin much of dungeoneering. It is designed around multiple combat styles. Melee gear is actually the hardest gear to get, as it is the most expensive resource in the shop. Melee and range are a pretty standard setup for binds in dung, and work well for the vast majority of dungeoneering. Many of the mechanics for bosses utilize the combat triangle, thus forcing you to be smart and bring hybrid gear, or work with your team to defeat the boss.

I personally find ROTS a bit underpowered, as it is too easy to tank mechanics instead of avoiding them. The change to remove familiars was well needed, as they were much more powerful than they should have been. I do think the droprate is too high as well, but................ ROTS is about knowing the mechanics inside and out, not just spamming brews to get you by. 

Needing to switch gear to do different monsters with different weaknesses well is a part of the game. Being able to steamroll everything in one setup was exactly part of the problem. Spending 1 minute regearing every 30-60 min is not the end of the world. 

Edited by TheHjoyn
  • Like 1

Acaraje    60

Honestly

I just want to thank you, because I've waited so much for this, and you guys have done an amazing job. 

Sure there were some forgotten items such as reaper hood, comp cape etc, but overall, it made a big diference, for the better of the economy.

As what i wanted to be changed, is ROTS drop rate, but seems like everyone is talking about it already (btw, i didn't even get my set).

Again, I feel like those noobs some players just aren't good enough pvming because the other day i was fucking bad at it, and now i can easily solo any boss (except vorago, ofc), in t70 gear.

Kris, you rock

Pls, fix reaper hood.